Friday, July 4, 2008

I'm not in Kansas anymore!

* I took this picture as the sun was setting on the Mississippi river

What was it like to be in Kansas City with my friend Leslie-without any kids and no one to answer to but myself? Delightful, Mind clearing, relaxing, and oh so much more. I think that every mom, wife, woman should take time such as this to gather her wits and renew themselves- allowing for time to reflect, think, and appreciate the life they have. A day or two isn’t enough, 5-7 days is perfect not only do I find myself longing to be with my husband and children but I am pretty sure they have had ample time to feel the same about me. (I hope) There is nothing like spending time with another family to make you appreciate your own. Pat and Leslie are amazing and I am so thankful to them for putting me up in their guest room and taking me to see all the sites. In 6 days we went through Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Illinois. I was able to take in all of the LDS Church Sites in those areas, as well as see the bank that Jesse James held up and the city that Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) based his book Tom Sawyer off of. I, of course took a plethora of pictures and will be posting them for all to see when I get them sorted through. I look forward to scrapping them. I am sure a number of my LDS friends will ask which site I enjoyed the most and I must answer- having following in the footsteps of the early saints, beginning in Independence, MO and concluding in Carthage, IL- with all the reflection and the entirety of the trials they endured for their faith- I must say Carthage Jail was all encompassing. My heart was full of emotion the spirit truly testified of the reality of these events further solidifying my testimony that the prophet Joseph Smith is and was a prophet of the Lord Jesus Christ and that he restored His church to this earth in this-the last-dispensation. I am so grateful for this once in a life time opportunity to be a part of something bigger than myself. Of course, I loved going to see the Marketplace in Kansas City and eating some authentic Kansas City BBQ. We also had an early 4th of July picnic with grilling and fireworks to top it off. We played a great new board game called “Ra” which anyone who loves strategy gaming will enjoy. We swam in their new pool and went sliding down the waterslide ( I even got Leslie to do it when her kids had been asking her since they got it.) *Leslie, you have to admit it is exhilarating. We went to swim meets and baseball games for the kids and made excellent Rigatoni last night for dinner and to top it off saw the movie Hancock ( I personally enjoyed it- it was full of humor, drama, and action jam packed in and topped off with googling at Will Smith.) * there is a bit of language in it for those who are sensitive to it. The entire trip was fantastic and the icing on the cake I had time to read a book for fun and I am hooked- I am sure you have heard of the Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer and well, after hearing about it myself and receiving the first book from my sister in law for my birthday I started and finished it in record pace while visiting, staying up until the late hours of the night turning the pages faster and faster so I could see what was going to happen. I have butterflies when I am reading the love story and I feel everything they are feeling as if it is happening to me. Once you start reading it, its like a drug and you can’t put it down. Its definitely for tweens but as an adult it takes you back and makes you feel those feelings all over again. I can’t wait to read the next one- in fact as I sit her in the Kansas City airport I am hoping that the Denver airport carries the paperback. Thank you again, my dear husband who gave me this opportunity and my friends and family who helped make it possible.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

glad you had such a great time! lucky you!
i've heard so much about the twilight series and plan to buy it when we go on vacation! can't wait!

ps.. that's an AWESOME pic!

Mark and Jennifer said...

Sounds like a great vacation! Glad you enjoyed it so much! That sunset picture is beautiful and I bet in person it is even more breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

the photo is absolutely perfection.
the post..probably one of your best posts yet because everything was so well-written- it was so easy to follow..I felt as if I was there with you. I can't wait to see Hancock too..

Melain said...

I hear that again and again about Carthage Jail. I can't wait to go some day.

You're sucked in to Twilight now? GOOD. Every woman should read it. :)

kelly said...

sounds like a great trip!
i agree, it's so important to have some time to just be you and not be somebody's mom, wife, etc.