Friday, October 24, 2008

Joy in little moments

I love reading other peoples blogs because a lot of them give me insight into myself that I may not have ever gotten. Each of my friends gives me thought about different aspects of my life; things like my kids, my husband, being a mom, etc… Reading blogs helps me put my life into perspective and prioritize in a way I wouldn’t without having read their thoughts. I guess you could say I am voyeuristic- I peep into others’ lives… and for a moment I see something that only I could see, at that moment in time. Lately I have been thinking a lot about time and how it seems to tick away second by second- sometimes without my even realizing it. The other morning I was laying in bed thinking about something, I don’t even remember what, but all of a sudden, moments of my child’s life past before me until he was grown. I don’t remember the events- it came and went so quickly and yet it entranced me for a brief moment and when it was over, it startled me. It got me thinking even more about what I am doing with my time and how when those seconds pass away, I don’t get them back- not even one second of it. That moment has been with me for almost a week and I can’t get it out of my mind. I have to think it was or is a personal revelation, an epiphany, of some sort. My children are a joy and yet I sometimes get so wrapped up in myself that I forget that. I was gone for a little over 24 hours last weekend at Time out for Women. The hours were filled with motivational, inspirational, spiritual, uplifting words and suggestions on finding joy in our lives, despite being surrounded by so much negativity. I found myself thinking a lot about my children and my husband. What am I doing to show them the joy they give me? Am I getting so caught up in myself that I am losing sight of what is most important to me? I found myself this week putting more effort into making little moments make a lasting impression. I found myself playing Candyland with Nicholas, even though he didn’t want to play by the rules. I found myself snuggling up with Natalee, reading a book and singing songs and just letting her know she is loved, the way she needs to be told. I found myself spending more quality time helping Alex with spelling and other aspects of homework. I found myself taking time to sit down for tiny moments with David and talk with him- without rushing off to do something else. This is not to say I didn’t find time for myself too. I spent time running mile after mile, listening to my old school walkman, thinking in my head, making goals for the day to day stuff. I was able to do some scrapbooking. I was able to talk on the phone, I was able to read, I cleaned my house- including the bathrooms. Yet in all this “work” I found joy. Joy in knowing I was doing something productive, Joy in knowing I was creating lasting moments, Joy in knowing that I am a work in progress, Joy in knowing I am the mother of 3 beautiful children, Joy in knowing my husband sees the “real me” and loves me in spite of it, Joy in the relationships I have established past and present, Joy in the knowledge I have of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and the hope that comes in having that as a guidance in my life, Joy in the glimpses I have that remind me of my joy and help me to get back on track. I am so happy with my life and while things around me want to take that joy from me I know what I need to do to be at peace and keep that joy in the forefront of my mind. I need to stay focused on those things that bring me joy- my husband, my kids, my friends and the gospel of Jesus Christ. I need to take the focus off myself and put it on others’ and their happiness- in return I am happy and full of joy. So thanks to my friends and family who give me those reminders and help me to become the best me I can be.





6 comments:

Jaime said...

Well said. I think you have given me a little reminder here for myself, with my own behavior. You have inspired me to make better decisions with using my time. Thanks Lily!

Anonymous said...

that was quite the weekend in Portland, Im so glad we were able to go. I came back much more motivated to do a lot of those things you mentioned too. Thank you for the wonderful post- so many great thoughts!

kelly said...

way to count your "glads".

Mom OT said...

I am so jealous of your opportunity to go to Time out for Women!!! I always LOVED and miss that!!! You feel so rejuvinated and ready to carry on!!! FUN!!!

Erika said...

Sounds like your weekend was great! I am glad you shared what you learned. It was a great reminder for me today!!

SeattleSuz said...

I am so glad to have stumbled across your blog. I hope you guys are doing well. Your kiddos are cute and look like lots of fun!