Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Sweet Boy


Alex is growing up. Its hard to believe because he is still my sweet boy. Since he is growing up right before my eyes i don't always see it and its hard to ignore. The other night I realized just how much he is growing up and also just how sweet he is. Since he was a baby before bed we always say prayers together and I sing him a song. As he has gotten older he has sung with me, or had a specific song he wanted me to sing but it was a tradition of sorts. Over the years David and i have split up the duties of putting the kids to bed and most often he ends up putting the boys to bed and i put Natalee to bed. But still when i get my turn with the boys each one, individually gets prayers and song with mom and David does the same. The other night, after wrestling practice, Alex had taken his shower and was waiting for us to put him to bed. Both David and I were exhausted and David said "hey, lets just say prayer together right here." (We were sitting on the couch talking and relaxing) I piped in and said "no, Alex needs his song" David explained they don't sing song anymore and asked Alex to confirm this, since it was an obvious shock to my mind. I looked at Alex and asked when did you stop singing songs, i just sang songs to you last night? He looked at me sheepishly and said, Mom-I only let you sing songs to me because you like it but really i am usually just to tired for songs. My jaw dropped and I was speechless ( and you know that doesn't happen to often) My sweet boy was only letting me sing songs to him because he thought it would hurt my feelings if he didn't. Well he was right, and I told him he was going to get songs from me until he was 18 years old and then I just hugged him tight. I got up off the couch and we went in and sang songs. How could I miss out on such a special memory between my sweet boy and myself. It is one I will cherish forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally dang it, he is SO getting songs! :) He sure is a cute kid.