Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A priceless gift!


Parenthood! (Putting someone else's needs before your own) It’s got to be the most amazing gift a person can experience. Granted there are those who don’t see it as a gift and well…it’s all in your attitude. But for me as I get deeper and deeper into my role as a mom, as I watch my friends and family do the same I am constantly amazed at how it changes you; how being a mom (or dad) allows you to become someone you could never be without having children of your own, however it comes to pass. I know I talk about my kids and what I learn from them all the time-- I have too; its my job. But can I tell you what I learn from others who are moms and dads. Shoot! I think I have plagiarized everyone else’s parenting skills and made them my own. For instance, “M” feeds her children oatmeal every day, she’s even blogged about it. When I first met her I thought, wow! I need variety. Well, I now see the genius in that (healthy, filling, low cost, no thinking about what to eat in the morning, no fighting over which cereal each kids wants…the list goes on and on). So now, since school has started…the kids get oatmeal every day (except on the weekends…then I might spice it up with French toast). As I was talking to my mom today (and my sister) I was reminded that is what we ate every day, which I now realize is the reason I was against oatmeal for breakfast in the first place. Another instance, “Ali” discussed options for me when it comes to the humongous tantrums Alex throws when he doesn’t want to do homework (which is really just 15 minutes of reading and about 5 minutes of math). I couldn’t have done it on my own and with the brainstorming session I have now found something that works (at least for the time being). “L” and “M” teach me about making the most of our time that we have with our kids now (it’s only a few years and they won’t want me around). I have learned organization (I am getting better), preparedness, selflessness, patience, kindness, tone of voice, love and oh-so much more. I couldn’t do all this on my own. ( I am still perfecting most of these, but truly, I wouldn’t care about doing any of this- if it wasn’t for my kids). I wouldn’t be able to see my life through someone else’s eyes without my kids. Having them to take my eyes off myself and focus my heart on them is a gift… a priceless gift. As with any gift sometimes I need to be reminded of how I felt when I received it… I need to be reminded that I am better with this gift then without it…I need to not take this gift for granted. Everyone who is a parent or will be a parent has their own parenting styles and I am so grateful to be able to learn something from each of them. As I think about the last almost 8 years since becoming a parent I wouldn’t take back anything. Now is my time to be a mom and I am going to make the most of it…so my kids will know how much I cherish them, respect them, and most of all unconditionally love them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this made me feel so happy to read, thank you!!

kelly said...

what a wonderful post about motherhood.
thanks lily.

Ms. Kneisly said...

Well - truthfully, my children are going to have oatmeal issues wen they're older. Probably the same issues I have with tuna sandwiches.

On the otherside of the coin. I don't really like oatmeal either.

Love,
"M"

Jaime said...

What a great reminder to all of us, Lily. you said it perfectly!