Sunday, June 15, 2008

As for my dad...on Father's Day


This year for the first time in many years all of my dad's daughters were here for Fathers Day...so we decided to take him to dinner. He chose to go to the Outback...not my favorite place but hey it's all about dad. As we waited to be seated us girls sat around talking while Dad watched the US Open- hey isn't that just the way it is. Anyway, dinner was nice and the conversation was even better. We talked about our favorite memories growing up and laughed about the time Gretchen and Christian were playing hide and seek...gretchen found the best place to hide-the dryer-next thing she knew Christian turned it on...now of course we laugh now but really as a parent now- that is scary- the dryer will always be off limits to hide and seek! We talked about how dad-or maybe i just remembered- but hey dad used to tell us all stories and sing us songs before bed. We played games as we got older...we got to go to dad's baseball games...I remember dad teaching me to ride a bike. I remember going to the community swimming pool and dad taking us to the park afterwards. I remember for one of my birthdays dad taking a day off and we all went to Enchanted Village...so many memories. Best of all my dad taught me to teach by example because he was always a great example. I remember when i first got married and david and i had an argument over something that I don't even remember...he woke me in the middle of the night after I had said something like "my dad would never do that..." anyway when he woke me he said "I bet your dad wasn't perfect when he first got married!" Now I know my dad wasn't perfect but I also know I would like to be what he has become and more! Thanks Dad for all you do to inspire, guide and lead me and all of your children.

3 comments:

Erika said...

That is very sweet. I love to hear about the relationship you had with your dad. What great memories!

Anonymous said...

so fun!! Im jealous, I'd love to do something like that for my dad too :) He sounds like a sweetheart.

Mark and Jennifer said...

This was fun to read and very sweet!