Sunday, June 1, 2008

7 loves!


I was tagged by my friend Erika! This made me think and maybe I took it a little more seriously than I should but I needed to remind myself of what I have and who I am.

7 things!

I love me! I know I said it. I am selfish and I want everyone to do things for me. I want to tell everyone (mostly my kids and husband) to do something and have them do it because I told them to do it. I want, I want, I want! However, while that is the truth I am very selfish deep down I also know that true happiness comes from loving others which leads me into my next love…

I love my husband…he teaches me how to be a better me. * is that selfish? Nah! Love is putting someone else’s wants and needs before yours, which is probably why I didn’t complain when he bought the new Mariokart- because it’s definitely not for me but it made him happy and someone else’s happiness always brings me happiness. Although, I do need to remember that next time I see that happiness to let him really enjoy it before I use it as barter for getting what I want. I also love him for all he does for me. I love him for the patience he has for me. I don’t show my appreciation as often as I should, in fact I often allow myself to get caught up in all the things he doesn’t do but really, truly he does more for me than not. He does do the dishes… he does take out the garbage…he does pick things up last minute at the store on his way home from work when he would rather be coming home…he does buy me my wardrobe (yes, I would not have any clothes if he did not shop because I hate spending $$ on clothes…he does not get upset at me even when I know he wreathing inside and wants to tell me to—well, you know…he does allow for the occasional evening out with friends for movies, talking, dinner or whatever…I also love my kids which I could not have done without him. My kids are my life- literally- and when I look at them I love my husband even more because they are part of him and together we can make a difference in their lives and last but not least he does enjoy being around family for extended periods of time, which leads me to my other love…

My mom, dad, brothers and sisters—I just spent the entire week with each of them and their children and while I am exhausted, I am filled with absolute love, respect, awe, joy and oh so much more for each of them and their spouses. I learn from them by watching them, listening to them, talking with them and just being around them. I see what I can improve in my life and how I can be a better sibling, daughter, wife, mother and friend, which leads to my next love…

My friends. What would I do without my friends? Yes, my family are my friends but I am talking about those outside my family. The people who give me yet another perspective on “me.” Those who strengthen me, listen to me, talk with me, and want to be around me not because they are family and have to but because they want too. Each friend teaches me something new about myself that I couldn’t learn without them. Really my friends are my family! Which in a round about way leads me to my next love…

The gospel of Jesus Christ…more specifically my Savior. His example, His teachings, His love…it is what keeps me going when I don’t want to go anymore. Knowing that he was sent by my Heavenly Father to be an advocate for me and that he chose to sacrifice himself for not only me but every person who lives in this world, who ever has lived and who ever will live—gives me a kind of peace that I can’t get from anywhere else. While I know this knowledge is not tangible- it is very real! My life would not and could not be what it is without this knowledge. Which leads to my other love…

Knowledge! Now I am not the kind of person who wants to know how things work like computers, or science or math but I love learning new things. I love being in school. I love studying the scriptures. I love having intellectual conversations that keep my mind open to new ideas and new thoughts. I am way more philosophical than logical but I love when someone or something can teach me something new. I don’t like learning technical things from books – I like to see things in action. I love learning about people, about history, about philosophy-- which leads me to my final love.

Diversity- I love that every one is different, has different backgrounds, different thoughts, different personalities, different experiences. I love that while I am different that people can love me for those differences and not judge me if I don’t agree with them. I love that I can learn from others differences and be better for having known them. I love that differences are strengths that either solidify my convictions or allow me to change. We are all free to choose the path we are going to take however the diversity in us means that while I am may not agree with the path others take they have the right to choose and because of that we are all diverse and yet in that diversity I am strengthened. I am ME- but I can always improve ME which brings me full circle.. I am selfish but I could not be happy if it wasn’t for someone else helping ME to grow into something more than I can even imagine.

*I tag melain, rebecca k, and rebecca d.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woweee! I love how beautiful this is! So many wonderful things and what a great idea to express them like that. My favorite was the section on your husband, and the Savior. They all were wonderful but I can't help but nod and appreciate the husband part and really truly appreciate the Savior part. Thanks man! You Rock!