Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tribute to Friendship

Tribute To Friendship

I have been told a lot lately how good a friend I am which I have to be honest is very flattering. In fact it brings a smile to my face and gives me the much needed self esteem to keep plugging away at life. I am writing this however to let all those who are giving me the compliments know that they are just as good of friends to me. I know I am really good at calling people- I always have been, ask my cousins and friends that I have had since I knew that a telephone could keep me in touch with people who didn’t live next door. I love talking to people. Even if they don’t want to hear from me- I am there. Over the years though, I have figured out how to tell if someone wants to talk to me or doesn’t and I make sure to keep it short if it is the latter. But those who want to talk get an ear full- sometimes more than they want- I have even learned to let someone get a word in edge wise. (Ha! Ha!) I am even learning to be a good listener too. (I sometimes have to remind myself communication is a two way street) Anyway what is this all aboutit is about what everyone brings to the table. I am good at talking and letting people know I am thinking of them, I am even good at knowing when someone needs a good uplift, a kind word, a card, or a thoughtful reminder that they are not alone. (When I was youth I have many a friend one in general- who got this a lot and I know now there is a time a place and you can go overboard) Aside from that, that is my gift- on the other hand everyone else has other gifts that they can share. I have friends who I watch and learn from- the way they treat people, the way they organize their time, the way the prioritize their lives, the way the study good books- religious or otherwise, how creative they are, how they discipline their children, the fact they can listen- when I am the one doing all the talking, their gardening skills, how they treat education, what they do to keep themselves in control of their lives, their baking skills, the way they are able to stretch themselves beyond their known limits only to come out ahead of what they ever thought possible. These are just a few of the many talents each of my friends’ have. I am the friend and person I am because of them. Each one of my friends makes me a better person. Friends throughout my life have contributed many of my great learning experiences in life. Some of those experiences have come directly because of what a friend has brought to my attention or through self evaluation through a friends’ life. I am ever so grateful for every person who I can call a friend or have called a friend because it is because of their influences in my life that I am who I am. At this time in my life being surrounded by my children 24 hours a day I know that I would not survive without knowing I have friends who support me, strengthen me and lift me on to higher ground. I pay tribute to my friends past, present and future and thank them for the gifts they have and continue to share with me. Just knowing they are there for me if ever I need them gives me great peace of mind. I do have friends who have been with me for many, many years and have stuck by my side through thick and thin and I want them to know (they know who they are) that my love continues to grow for them- even if we aren’t around each other as often- that I am blessed by what they have taught me through their examples throughout the years. And those friends who I have just met within the few years I am so grateful for what you bring to my life at this time- I could not be as successful as I am without your support and guidance. I have said often that my friends (family included) are on the top of my most important things and this is why I will do whatever I can to make sure they know of their significance in my life. I love each and every one of you! Your lifelong friend


5 comments:

Ms. Kneisly said...

Oh my gosh. A picture of me on the internet! I am a little head coming out of a puffy coat. And poor Erika.

You pretty much say it all and so I can think of nothing to add except you are right.

And there I am with a teeny head.

Anonymous said...

I think your post is just lovely..made all that much more beautiful by that "song from A Secret Garden" ") I love that movie! Love that song..
So yes, I think it's really incredible that you are such a great talker, one of the things I love the most about you..
I also love that you made sure to point out that there are things about others that lift you and make you want to be better- We Definitely All Bring Something To The Table. I had to capitalize that so it sounded more poignant. Love you girl.
Wanna go see Sex in the City and wear heels with me?? I loved Melain's blog!

Mom OT said...

That was an awesome tribute to friends!!! You always know exactly what to say!!!

Groverfam said...

thanks for all your comments- I am sorry i don't know MOM OT- but thanks for commenting. let me know your blog and I'll take a look

Erika said...

Thank you for the beautiful tribute. I am so happy that we are friends and that we have had this time to get to know each other better!